School Dismissal extended for 2019-2020 school year

Dear CCSD parents,

Today, Governor Herbert and State Superintendent of Public Education Sydnee Dickson announced that the school dismissal for all Utah schools will be extended for the remainder of the 2019-2020 school year to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. This means that instruction for CCSD students will continue remotely. We understand that this presents a significant challenge for students and families. To echo the words of State Superintendent Dickson, we acknowledge and appreciate our students for being so resilient, our teachers and staff for being so creative, and parents for being so flexible. We know that everyone is doing their best in a very difficult situation.

Recognizing that our community will have questions regarding how we will finish the rest of the school year, we have tried to anticipate some of your questions and have addressed them below. If you have further questions, please call our hotline at 435-792-7699.

INSTRUCTION: Our educators have been working hard to provide online and remote instruction and to support students and parents at home. Online and remote instruction will continue through the end of the school year. There will be no school on Memorial Day (Monday, May 25th). School will officially end on May 29, 2020.

GRADES: If parents are concerned about their child’s progress or grades, they should reach out directly to their child’s teacher. Options for grading in secondary schools will be released in the near future.

ATHLETIC EVENTS AND EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES: All athletic events and extracurricular activities were canceled as part of the original announcement of school dismissals. We don’t anticipate any changes. Parents may reach out to their schools for an appropriate refund of fees associated with athletic events and extracurricular activities. These refunds may vary by activity.

SCHOOL PLAYGROUNDS AND ATHLETIC FIELDS: Playgrounds and athletic fields will remain closed.

PROMS, SENIOR ACTIVITIES, AND GRADUATION: We recognize that there are many traditions and rituals for seniors, including proms and other activities, that are no longer a possibility. High schools are currently exploring how to best honor our 2020 graduates. More information will be forthcoming.

GRAB-AND-GO MEALS: Grab-and-Go meal service will continue until May 29th. There will be no Grab-and-Go meal service on Memorial Day (Monday, May 25th). We appreciate our school lunch personnel, support staff, and bus drivers who are providing over 25,000 meals a day.

DESK AND LOCKER CLEANOUT: Opportunities will be provided for students to clean out their desks and lockers before the end of the school year. Directions for how to do so will come from each individual school.

TECHNOLOGY NEEDS AND RETURNS: If families need additional devices to support online learning or have technology needs, please reach out to your school. Students who have borrowed a device from their school will need to return it to the school by the end of the school year. Directions for how to return devices will come from each individual school.

YEARBOOKS: Students who have purchased a school yearbook will receive information from their school regarding the process for obtaining their yearbook.

In addition to this information about school dismissals, we’d like to share some information from the Utah Attorney General’s Office regarding the online safety of our students. Please click on the following link to the press release which offers safety tips for parents: UTAH ATTORNEY GENERAL’S OFFICE OFFERS ONLINE SAFETY TIPS

Thank you for being a part of the CCSD family and for your support and understanding during these difficult weeks and months. Please stay safe and stay healthy.