All State Choir Selection Process, Is It Unfair?

Natalie Heckathorn

All state choir is a prestigious organization where you are selected by a skilled conductor to perform in a group of hardworking musicians and students from all around the state. There is intense competition and practice involved in order to stay once you have been chosen with only a couple weeks to get your difficult parts memorized before the concert . It is something every choir student dreams of participating in and considered an honor to be a part of. It is said to reflect the beauty and splendor of the Salt Lake Tabernacle where the concert takes place. Despite the love that students have for this program, there has also been some backlash in regards to the selection process and many deem it to be unfair.
Ridgeline student, Rachel Sweeton, did not make it into the program despite participating in choir all of high school. She said she believes that the selection process is “biased and should be given to those who have worked the hardest in choir”, rather than those who the teachers believe to be the most fit. She describes the many hours she spent practicing for this program and the sadness she felt watching a sophomore take her place.
Another student, Jessie Evans, did make it into the program, and expressed that she feels “incredibly grateful for the opportunity” and talks about the time she spent practicing as well. She says she disagrees with the backlash that the choir teachers are getting, not because she made it, but because she knows how much work she put in as well and believes that she deserves it just as much as anyone else.
Both of these perspectives show the contrast between a person who works hard and fails and another who works hard and makes it. It suggests that sometimes it is simply luck and that there isn’t always bias involved when choosing who goes and who doesn’t. Or that there is more to a selection process then you may think. Is it unfair that a younger individual is going in place of a senior who won’t have the opportunity again? Should the students strictly be judged on skill, talent, and dedication? This is what many have argued for years but multiple choir teachers and directors explained that it really isn’t about the individual’s feelings or even their singing voice alone. It is about whether or not they can blend well in a choir full of harmonies. Whether they can project, be fluent, work well with others, and be willing to accept criticism. There are many qualities that are needed to be able to succeed in the program because it is so much more than just reading notes.