What is it like to be a college student? The most common questions, answered

Lacy Nydegger

Southern Utah University student’s Natasha Moon and Hannah Nydegger are trying to learn the ropes of college, while also learning how to find balance between their social, academic, and adult life.

Heading off to college, many high school students can feel a mix of excitement and fear, potentially because they don’t know what to expect. SUU student, Natasha Moon is a few weeks into her first year of college, and is already realizing the reality of it. “I get to my apartment and I’m like okay crap, now I have to go grocery shopping for myself, I have to cook for myself, I have to buy cleaning supplies…” When it comes to college, students quickly have to learn how to start managing and dealing with things that could be new to them.

“…the fact that my apartment didn’t have AC; I had to buy it. What I dislike is how real it is” said Natasha. Besides having to be a fully independent adult, Natasha explains that she definitely gets homesick, and “the workload can be really overwhelming.”

While being a college student can have many hardships, both Natasha Moon and Hannah Nydegger agree that they love being fully independent. “The great thing about college is you get to choose your schedule. If you wanted, you could have classes one day and no classes another day” said Hannah.

Hannah also says she really likes her professors and it’s a lot different from High School. “You’re responsible for yourself. No phone policies. If you choose to be on your phone during class, it’s your fault if you miss important information.” Hannah elaborates saying there’s a lot more freedom in the classroom, but stricter due dates. “There is no late work,” said Hannah.

Natasha and Hannah also agree that while it’s hard leaving your high school friends and making new ones, it’s definitely worth it. “I feel like you really get to see who your real friends [from high school] are” said Natasha. Natasha continues saying, “When it comes to college friends…you’re able to get to know a person for who they are, rather than what their parents are telling them to do.”