SZA SOS

SZA+SOS

Halle Miller

SZA’s new album, “SOS,” has hit number one in charts all over the world and is the most listened to R&B album created by a woman in streaming history. Ridgeline High School’s student body has been taking part in creating those statistics in their adoration for “SOS” since its release.

In an interview, Nia Damuni, a student at Ridgeline High School, discusses the album and how its release has impacted her. “The album has spoken to me so much and has already helped me through so many tough times. The lyrics just speak to me in a different way than any other artist has,” she says. Nia explains what SZA’s new album SOS has to do with Ridgeline. “Every single boy here at this school is a player and is full of themself,” she fumes, claiming that this is the reason many female students relate to the album, knowing how badly they are treated by their male peers.

Nia talks of her favorite song in the album, “KillBill,” because the lyrics make her feel like a fighter, and they help her remember her worth and “get over the fact that boys absolutely suck here at Ridgeline.” She feels that boys could learn a lot from listening to SZA’s new album, because it could possibly teach them and help them notice how poorly most of them treat women. 

Nia’s favorite lyrics in “KillBill” are: “I wish I was special/I gave it my all/Away to a loser/Now I’m just a loser/Just like you.” “These lyrics speak volumes,” she remarks. 

Nia’s final thoughts and words were an invitation for everyone, “especially the Ridgeline boys,” to go listen to SZA’s new album, “SOS,” and pay close attention to all of the lyrics. “It will change your life,” she concludes.