Her Loss

Her+Loss

Trent Godfrey

Many Ridgeline High School students can’t stop talking about the release of Drake’s 7th studio album, “Her Loss.” The album was released on November 4th, and includes collaborations with the rappers 21 Savage, Lil Yatchy, and Travis Scott.

Several Ridgeline students, like Bowen Hauter, have been giving the album very positive feedback. Bowen gave “Her Loss” a rating of eight on a scale from one to ten. He said his favorite song is “Circo Loco” because it samples a popular daft punk song “One More Time.”  Davis Low, like Bowen, said that this album was an “eight out of ten” and “had a unique flow to it that made it ascend above his other albums.” His favorite song was “Major Distribution” because it starts out “chill,” then has a sharp beat switch and turns into a “hype song.”  

Other students, however, have rated it poorly. “Truly the worst Drake album of the trilogy” said Miles Stokes. He said that his favorite song is “****** and Millions” because it has an upbeat Travis Scott verse. 

Many teachers at Ridgeline also listened to the album and had mixed reviews. Jake Pitcher, a Language Arts teacher, thoroughly enjoyed it. He said that “Her Loss” is a “very well-made album; it [keeps] me interested and [is] very full of energy.”

“Her Loss” is now the number one album on Billboard, surpassing Taylor Swift’s record-breaking album, “Midnights” in only a week. It continues to get more streams, with its most popular song having 97 million and the rest sitting at around 50 million. Part of the reason this has found success is because of the collaboration of the other two artists. By choosing to include these collaborations, Drake brought both of the fanbases from the different artists and roped them into one large fanbase. 

“Her Loss” will continue to grow at a rapid pace, still resting at number one on Billboard and in the running for the official Album of the Year.