Ridgeline and the Grammys

Trent Godfrey

The time of year has arrived when Grammy nominations are in full swing. Ridgeline High School has been demonstrating very mixed views as to which album will win the coveted “Album of the Year” (AOTY) award. The top-mentioned albums among students are as follows: Renaissance by Beyoncé, Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers by Kendrick Lamar, Harry’s House by Harry Styles, Un Verano Sin Ti by Bad Bunny, and Special by Lizzo. 

Miles Stokes, a student at Ridgeline, is very adamant that Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers will win the AOTY. “None of these other albums even compete in the slightest,” he claims. He goes on to say that the album is “beautiful,” and continues to describe how it involves upbeat yet very emotional music. 

Mr. Stockett, a Language Arts teacher, expresses that he has the most respect for Kendrick and his music. He also mentions that he likes Harry Styles, but Styles needs more time to develop to be on the same level as Beyoncé. 

Many Ridgeline girls are very adamant about Harry Styles being the Grammys’ AOTY winner, but they don’t seem to know anyone else on the list. In an interview, a female student at Ridgeline (who requested to remain anonymous), was asked about her favorite album on the list of nominees. She answered, “Harry Styles,” and stated that the competition for the award is “not even close.” When prompted to name three of the songs on his album, she was stumped. 

Among people with a more culturally diverse background, Bad Bunny was by far the most popular. Bad Bunny is a Puerto Rican rapper who combines modern day rap with his own twists. Charly Neilson, a Ridgeline alumni, served a religious mission in Chile, and ever since his return, he rarely listens to anything other than Bad Bunny. He says, “When all you hear is the same English music on repeat for eighteen years of your life, it’s good to have something new.” 

At Ridgeline High School, Harry Styles, Kendrick Lamar, and Bad Bunny have received the most praise and support thus far, but there is still time before the Grammys air on February 5th to cast votes and take sides.