The student news site of Ridgeline High School

RHS News

RHS News

RHS News

Utah’s Sunshade Spectacle

It’s been 6 years since Utah’s last solar eclipse, however on October 14th many dusted off their old sunshades and took another look at the sun. The annular solar eclipse, annular meaning ring shaped, crossed the skies and was able to be seen in full effect from Richfield to Monticello in southern Utah. And while this is a long drive, thousands from all across the country made the trip, including many from Cache Valley.

However, if the nearly four-hour grueling drive was too much, the eclipse could be seen at about 90% in Layton Utah and just about 85% in Cache Valley. This was still a great way for many to enjoy the eclipse. Joslyn Hawkes recounted the experience saying it was breathtaking, “I’ve never seen anything like it.” She further recalled, when she was a kid seeing the first eclipse but not remembering it as well. “I’m glad that I saw another one while I’m older because then I’ll remember it more.”

Even for those who stayed in the valley it was a memorable experience. Merrick McClellan was one that stayed up in the valley to watch the eclipse. He talked about how he didn’t want to drive to see it; however, he still really enjoyed watching the eclipse. He also said it’s definitely something he will remember, even though “I didn’t see the full thing.” When asked if he was able to get pictures, he proudly presented his phone and said “I got these sick ones actually.”

The annular eclipse will not be visible in Utah again for quite some time. However, for those who wish to get another total eclipse as we did back in 2017, the next total eclipse in Utah will not be until 2045.