The student news site of Ridgeline High School

RHS News

RHS News

RHS News

Social Dance Class

Social Dance Class

Ridgeline High’s social dance class taught by Adam Shelton, is one of the numerous fitness classes offered here at Ridgeline. Students learn a variety of different styles of dances all while meeting new people and creating friendships.

In the social dance class, students learn “Waltz, Foxtrot, Cha-Cha, and Swing,” said Shelton. The swing unit is the longest, it covers Lindy Swing, East Coast Swing, West Coast Swing, and Country Swing. The class typically takes place during second hour, usually in one of the upstair gyms. But, with smaller classes, Shelton says that he likes to teach it in the dance room if it is available. Grades for the class are mainly based on tests which consist of all of the moves learned for a specific style of dance “then for the test if you perform those moves correct you get a good grade” said Ryan Wood, a current dance student.

Growing up in the world of dance, and starting his dancing career at the age of 5, Shelton has been teaching social dance for almost 20 years and says that his favorite part of the class is that “ …people come to class and they leave happier than they came, most of the time.” Ryan Wood has only recently gotten into the world of dancing and says that he has loved getting to know everyone and that this class has given him the opportunity to be social in a fun way. Ryan adds to that saying that the social dance class is a really easy way to not only fill the required P.E. credits for students at Ridgeline, but also to learn fun moves for the school dances. Brianna Woodward, another social dance student, also loves the social dance class saying that her favorite part of it all is that “I get to dance a lot with friends”.

For those that may not have room in their schedule for the class, but are still interested in social dance, there is social dance club that anyone is welcome to join. Members meet every Friday right after school in the commons. Typically, it is not more than 45 minutes to an hour long and all anyone interested in joining has to do to be apart of the club is to show up. For people who are in the class but not in the club, Shelton says that in the club they learn more advanced and different steps that are not taught in the class. There are also numerous social dance activities coming up like the masquerade ball in the class and a potential for the first cross school dance with Mountain Crest in January.

“People should take it because it’s a low stress environment to be social, to meet new people, new friends, and take a little break from your other classes” said Shelton.