The Choral Experience

Natalie Heckathorn

In high school, everyone has the opportunity to explore their interests and find a place where they can express themselves without feeling judged. For many students at Ridgeline, that place is choir. There’s something special about a group of people with different backgrounds and life experiences, coming together to create a beautiful and unified sound. Intricate harmonies and long hours of rehearsal doesn’t sound appealing to most, but for some, it allows them to learn and to grow, to make long lasting friendships, and to have some of the happiest memories that will stick with them for years to come.

Jonah Bates, a senior at Ridgeline, has been a part of the early morning choir this past year. He described the choir as “the base establishment for some of his closest friends.” He then went on to say, “Choir has helped me understand my singing voice, and has generated a wealth of opportunities both in the performing arts and in my own personal music writing.”

Many choir students explained how at times they felt it wasn’t worth it. However, through dedicated practice in those early hours, they soon learned that the skills they’ve acquired and the memories made were worth far more than the hour of sleep they lost. Another choir student, Emma Hansen, says choir has “allowed her to learn words in other languages and understand different religions and cultures”. The songs sung and the art created touched the hearts of not only their audiences, but the students themselves. They were left with a greater understanding of history and literature. They learned songs in other languages and developed a deeper appreciation for other cultures.