Ridgeline High School Rivalry

Ridgeline High School Rivalry

Emma Hansen

Ridgeline High School, founded in 2016, was made to split Mountain Crest High School. Even in the first few years of RHS there was a connotation that came with being a Riverhawk.  You were stereotyped as rich and entitled if you attended Ridgeline. You were a cowboy and hick if you went to Mountain Crest High School.  We have done a very good job of keeping this implication throughout the years. We have an intense rivalry with MC. It has led to many fights between sports teams, to the point where there has to be police officers attending our football and basketball games. Last year at a basketball game against MC. Ridgeline was up by 30. The seniors at RHS thought it would be a good idea to start saying “ you’re not worth it.” and having the student section walk out of the gym. Mrs Stalligs saw what was happening and took action. They followed the students out and locked the doors so they couldn’t be let back into the building. Ridgeline’s Officer went up to the MC side where students had gone to harass the Mountain Crest student body. The following Monday Mrs. Stallings said. “ We had to go through videos to see who went up to the Mountain Crest side, so we could give them the appropriate punishment.” All of the students that walked out got a 3 game suspension. The students that went up to the opposing team’s side got suspended from school for a few days. I talked with Fletcher Hamblin, a junior at the time of the game, who walked out. He said. “ I was just following the crowd. “ Even though he had not started the unsportsmanlike action he was still a part of the movement. This movement helped to carry on the stereotype of Ridgeline High School.