The student news site of Ridgeline High School

RHS News

RHS News

RHS News

Cross County Weighs in on After School Practice

Teams at Ridgeline High School have typically practiced after school instead of in the mornings since Ridgeline opened eight years ago.

Sports like Football, Girls Basketball, Cross Country and many others all practice in both the morning (during the first half of the season) and after school (during the second half of the season). This allows them to warm up to playing the sport in the first half of the season, but then switches to after school because it allows them to practice in the heat and be stronger and better when they are performing in games and races.

Emma Ferrin, a Sophomore at Ridgeline who plays girls basketball and runs cross country says that she is fine with practicing at this time even though she enjoys practicing before school. She says practicing after school has helped her to become better at the sport she does. At her first race in cross country her time was 26:30 but in the latest race she got a 24:43, her personal record and she claims that practicing after school has helped her reach this goal. She added to that by saying,”Even though practicing after school helps me get better I like to hang out with friends and do homework after school more, so I like practicing in the mornings more”.

Taegan Jensen, a Senior who also runs cross country after school, says that he enjoys running after school because,” It is the most ethical time of the day to practice. In the mornings people tend to sleep in, but if practice is after school everyone is there at the school so more of the team is likely to show up”.