The student news site of Ridgeline High School

RHS News

RHS News

RHS News

What is it Like to be a Teacher at Ridgeline High School?

Teachers at Ridgeline high school usually find themselves faced with students and their many distractions, along with teaching around 150 students every day. Over the past few years phones have become a big necessity, but yet a distraction in the classroom, and teachers are still finding solutions to this.

Mr. Cluff, an English teacher at Ridgeline says that phones can be a good tool when used at the right times. When asked how he thinks students could do better, he said “I would tell them to find something to learn in every lesson or assignment, even the ones that seem boring.”

“Students can progress, and learn much more when they are mentally present. If students would try harder to be there physically as well as mentally, they will find themselves progressing more.” says Ridgeline guitar and weights teacher Mr. Putnam.

It seems that the education system and teachers as individuals have found their own ways to handle phones being used in the classroom. Some teachers use calculator pockets, and some just remind students to keep their phone away when it is not the right time. Teachers find that the stress level is usually mild, but there are days with plenty of work to do, and days with nothing to grade or prepare.

Students can make the stress load easier for teachers, and improve their own learning at the same time, by putting distractions away and focusing on the assignment, or whatever the teacher may be talking about. School is somewhere we go to learn, and can also be a good social environment, if socializing is done at the right times.