The student news site of Ridgeline High School

RHS News

RHS News

RHS News

Do students and teachers like school lunch?

Many kids here at Ridgeline eat school lunch every day. The history of school lunch goes all the way back to 1946 when Presdient Harry Truman signed the act so schools would have lunch.

At Ridgeline there are three lines to choose from. Some people get free school lunch and others pay 40 cents. Full price lunch coast $2.35. How much a student pays is determined by the amount of income for their family.

School lunches are designed to meet 1⁄3 of calorie intake for a day. School lunch provides a full serving of whole grains, which provide a variety of nutrients including fiber. Fiber is good because it helps students and teachers stay full longer.

Teacher and student’s options on school lunch varies. Mr. Wing, a teacher at Ridgeline said “ I like the lunch that the school gives us. My favorite it’s the chicken fried steak ”

Others choose not to eat school lunch. MaCade, a student at Ridgeline said, “I choose to pack a lunch from home because it tastes better and I can have more food because the portions the school gives isn’t enough.” MaCade brings his lunch to school every day or he goes places to eat so he can choose what he wants to eat and he doesn’t have to guess if the lunch at school will be good today or not. He does not recommend school lunch because it’s not that hard to make a lunch in the morning before school and he can pick what he wants to eat.