The student news site of Ridgeline High School

RHS News

RHS News

RHS News

Sliding into Ski Season

The end of the year is coming faster than some of Utahns would like, while others cannot seem to wait. At the end of every year Utah gets a tremendous amount of snow, which can be a pain in the back for some, or a blessing for others. Many Utahns love the snow for the skiing it provides.

Compared to national averages, Utah has significantly higher numbers of skiers and snowboarders. In Utah about 15% take part in downhill snow sports, while on a national level only about 7% take part.

Mackay Roundy, a senior at Ridgeline said, “I ski, and like actually ski not snowboard.” Mackay gets a season pass up to Beaver every year, which he enjoys a lot. He says that he loves going up with friends and “shredding the gnar.” He says that he goes up every weekend and enjoys the time that he spends with the people he’s with, and the tricks that he learns.

For some, ski season can be an expensive sport to get into and become a full hobby. It can be cheaper to get a day pass and shred once or twice a season. Ridgeline junior Macade Brown says “skiing is fun, and I would definitely go more if I could. I just don’t have time to get into it.” Macade is not a season pass holder; however, when asked, he said that he will get a day pass and a ski rental and go with friends. He said it cost around 100 dollars, and “that’s not awful.”