Krispy Kreme Kampout

Krispy Kreme’s opening has long been awaited and it finally has arrived. On the evening of December 4,  the opening was only a short eleven hours away.  The best part of the opening was that the first hundred arrivals would receive a free dozen donuts once a month for a full year.

Four seniors from Ridgeline were lucky enough to be a part of the first one hundred. Kyler and Kolby Sorenson, Ryan Rasmussen and Cierra Thomas. The catch though was this, in order to reserve your spot you had be there, in line at five am.

The front of the line to be exact, so to wait it out the four students set up a tent and camped out for the night. Card games, hot cocoa and a nice heater to keep them warm, the seniors sat and waited the long eleven hours for their free donuts.

Hundreds of other people had set up tents and were camping out the whole night. Most of the people there were USU students, there were a few other high school students present.

After a short interview with the Ridgeline students it was soon discovered we had some die hards on our hands. After asking them if they were really going to spend the night an ecstatic Cierra Thomas said. “Are you kidding me? Free donuts! Of course were gonna stay out here all night.”

It was clear that next to nothing would move these students from there spots on the concrete. Some even stated it would take a police officer forcefully removing them from the area.

Sitting with them for about twenty minutes, the temperature was dropping rapidly and dipping  below freezing. A long night was ahead for the students. Eventually Krispy Kreme employees brought out a few gas heaters, to give the soon to be customers a little extra warmth.

Later on into the night the boredom was growing and so a game of Marco Polo broke out. It didn’t last long, but the night continued on like this all the way until 4:45am. Around that time people were told to pack up and then were placed in order of there numbers they had been given upon arriving.

Kyler and Kolby being the first of the group members to arrive had the numbers 26 and 27, while Cierra and Ryan had the numbers 62 and 63. After waiting in line for their turn there long night of frozen toes and chilled hands was over. They even received free t-shirts for their devotion to the store.

They then made their way home to sleep.

Ryan Rasmussen tells about his experience, “yeah Cierra and I showed up at 6:30 we got registered as the 62nd and 63rd. It was very cold and everyone was camped out in the tents or huddled in blankets. They even filled the drive thru, at about 7:30 or so they brought out some gas heaters and everyone started coming out and huddling around those. There were even a few high schoolers other than us, but mostly college kids. The first guy had been there since Thursday. We mostly just chilled in the tent but then we waited around the heater outside there was some Marco Polo going on. At about 4:45am they started to come around telling people to pack up. We got out and put in order of our number and we went in. They had music playing and a workers would all yell “Wooo!” when a guy would say welcome. We all got t-shirts and a donuts we sat for a bit and then all made our way home to sleep.”